Thursday, September 17, 2009

Search for the Perfect Brow- Threading:Yes or No?

I want to get nice eyebrows for my wedding and need to look at options that won't cost me a bomb! My hair grows really quickly so I usually do it myself at home. It's not perfect but I got makeup to cover my boo boos:)

Anyway, I have been considering threading. Threading is a techniue used by skilled professionals to remove facial hair. It uses a piece of thread in a scissor-like action and it's meant to last for weeks. I have heard it's great and also it's not that great! I am deciding whether or not to try it?


Here is a lil background info from an article I read:

"This method of hair elimination has a number of advantages. For instance, it is neat, rather fast, inexpensive and it is considered to be less painful than plucking. It is good for eyebrows and its effect, like after plucking, can last up from two to four weeks.Compared to waxing, hair removal threading has a number of benefits as well. First of all, it does not peel off a layer of skin. After the procedure the hair does not grow back as fast. Skin does not get as irritated and red. Hair removal threading can pull off specific individual hair. Besides, the hair doesn't have to be long, but just above the skin. The procedure will never produce more hairs or make hairs stronger. Hair removal threading is really good at picking up the finest hair from the surface leaving skin smooth."

For those who live in Perth- I think Matt Yuko in Claremont is the best one in town that does eyebrow shaping (Not threading) but it costs $50 a session. I tried it once and was impressed. But I think you need to continue going there on a regular basis to keep it well maintained. Plus he is so hard to get a booking. You need to be on waiting lists or book few months in advance! Crazy! I don't know how my eyebrows will be like in a few months! ahaha
At the moment I do my eyebrows myself but would like someone to "shape it" for me and I just tweeze the rest. I also cut my hairs since it gets really ruly and untidy! I avoid shaving though!
Please! If anyone has recommendations or other type of methods you use that worked great for you - let me in on your secret! :P

13 comments:

Carlinn said...

I mostly get it waxed as its cheap fast and easy :) Then i just pluck the strays myself. I have also tried threading at home and its actually quite easy!

Unknown said...

i've had my eyebrows threaded for many years now and i love it! it's a really cost effective way to get the hairs outta there... it's not that painful (maybe the first few times only) and you get a really clean and shaped result :)

Funkiimonkee said...

I tried threading myself at home but its too hard! I am scuh a noob hahaha but I heard it stretches your skin and causes wrinkles! hmm....

Fafibaby12 said...

i love threading! i think it gives a nicer shape compared to waxing or plucking..ive been getting mine threaded for 3yrs now..and i love the shape of my brows! Plus threading is about 9-10$..same price for wax:]

Catherine said...

I get my brows waxed every 3 months thereabouts and then I just pluck to maintain. I tried threading myself a few times (the threading part isn't that hard, it's the shaping that gets me!) but it didn't work very well for me because my hairs are so sparse that I can't really take a whole line of hairs off at a time... I think that's what everyone else loves about threading and what makes it look more "natural" though. The lady I go to for waxing always goes at me w/ tweezers and trims my brows with scissors a bit to get the right shape.

hanidee said...

I do threading by myself. I don't thread my eyebrows since I prefer tweezing, but I do thread around my mouth area because its super fast, lol. I thread my BF's face too. He loves it cause its so quick, haha.

Joyce said...

i have tried it once and it hurts! but i am a big wimp

a lot of my friends loves threading (even guys) i think it's good.

Denysia said...

threading is a good way to get rid of hair. it hurts like a mother, if you have never done it before. i use to thread my eyebrows, before when i had a good job. nowadays i just pluck mines out myself. you can try waxing. waxing is suppose to hurt for a little bit, and it's a quick way to get rid of hair.

carly mary said...

threading murdered me. i did it once like 10 years ago and it still pains me to think about it.
waxing or sugaring maybe might do it!

Anonymous said...

Threading is my very best friend! :) The technique is so precise, clean, and quick; more so than waxing. Also, it isn't pulling at your skin as much as waxing, which can result in droopy skin later down the road. :/

I recommend threading to all my brides. Going somewhere where eyebrow shaping is all they do, all day long, you can find real gems of artists there. Just be sure to give a trial run at least one or two months before the wedding, that way you know you like the artist and if you'll react to the threading (redness).

Tammy said...

I wish there was a threading equivalent to waxing's "Go Brazilian!"--because if there was, I would say it! haha

I have been threading since I was 6 (I was a fuzzy peach...) and have been doing it on my own since I was about 9 or 10. Once you start threading, waxing starts looking very unattractive so I recommend you take the plunge! If you learn how to do it on your own, it's much cheaper than waxing and getting others to do it for you. Good luck!! :)

Funkiimonkee said...

Wow! Thanks for all the info:) I just might just try it to see if it suits me. :) Will let you guys know how it goes!

salma said...

I agree with Tammy, watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmbHB2p4WM&feature=channel_page

it saved my eyebrows and my wallet lol.