Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What I am Reading: Desert Flower

A friend recommended this book for me to read and I am glad she did! (Thanks Minh!) I couldn't stop reading. It's about a African girl by the name of Waris who lived her childhood as a nomad but was forced to run away from her only home and the only world she knew and she ended up becoming a famous supermodel joining the likes of Naomi Campbell. It's an amazing story following her life (and it was not an easy life) and she's just an inspiration! It really made me think about how lucky I am and also how much I take a lot of things for granted.

It covers a big issue: female genital mutilation. It is something that is still being performed on women of Africa as part of their religion/culture. It's really sad how they do this to girls when they are so young and without any medical aid.

I highly recommend this book- it's a real eye opener!

4 comments:

A View from the Edge said...

Yeah, glad you read this amazing book! I read it a few years ago and was really amazed how Waris was brave enough to talk about female genital mutilation. Hats off to her for doing that =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. I've been itching to find a good book!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, this book is gorgeous! I read it a few years ago, and I can still remember every detail of it.

Emily said...

thanks for the reccomendation

the books sounds great!